Friday, May 29, 2009

They're making me work in an office... like an ANIMAL

I had forgotten what it’s like to have a full time job. Moreover, I’d forgotten what it was like to have a full time job where I don’t just come up with everything on the fly and then immediately work it all out on the spot.

It’s very strange to be back in a situation where you’re expected to plan out your own work for the next week, two weeks or month and then make sure that everyone you’re working with can put together their side of the bargain. I’ve also learned that I have to actually, physically show up to work every day. I’m not sure how I feel about that. It was always a push before, when it was just one bus, but now it’s a very much longer bus journey to get out here… that MA has never looked quite so appealing.

So far today I’ve spent about 40% of my time working, and 60% of my time pining for an ongoing barbeque it’s looking more and more like I won’t attend. I’m very much hoping the lab guys downstairs don’t rain on my parade when it comes to the actual work I have done, because if they do I might end up having to do about half of the work I’ve done today again.

It’s weird when your job is based around dreaming up ideas to write about and then hoping that the people you work with can supply that kind of content. I’ve been wondering how everyone else is, but the web connection from work is so severely locked down that Mail.app can’t get my mail for me, Adium can’t sign in to my IM clients and Skype won’t let me… talk to Jane.

I sometimes think that’s all Skype is for really; talking to Jane. Not just for me, but for the other 15.3 million people online right now. It’s no wonder she complains about getting no work done; she’s in high demand. I imagine the position I’m in with work now is the position Jane is in every day… I hope I can get to the point where it feels normal again. With any luck that’ll sort itself out and we’ll be cool, work and I.

I’ve managed to get Skype to sign in now though, so I’m going to toddle off and talk to Jane. These are the kinds of privileges you too could have if you were her brother. It’s pretty cool alright.

Skipping the queue.

Also, I’m gradually testing every application I have that will sign in to something, like the tendrils of some kind of weird web-based octopus.

Twitterrific works. All’s good.

I’ve just discovered I’m on a Norwegian proxy; my blog is in Norwegian. By the time I post this I’ll have learned something about the letter O with a line through it.

[Update]:Jane's Skype queue is up to 15.9 million and my blog's are being adjusted for Norwegian time. It's starting to get very hot here, so I may have to actually relocate to wherever our server room is and spend the summer there. I have a Norwegian lecturer, maybe he's put me up.

No comments: