Monday, May 18, 2009

Does this make me an anthropologist yet?

I’m updating this again in an effort to ensure that I don’t start to feel like I haven’t written in an age when the time comes for Jane and I to start work on “OUR novel” in a couple of weeks time. I’m not sure what we’re to write about, but I’m sure we’ll patch something together when we get there. I’ve got some vague ideas, but no real story… I wonder how it is that a book normally comes together.

I’ve not yet determined just how it is we’ll tackle the novel endeavour, but at this point I think that I’m in a unique position to produce a sizeable work. I intend to ask my friend Dane’s mammy for her input if possible, she managed to have a novel published entirely unassisted, which impressed me. I’m not sure quite how she managed to knock out a book while working full time in a Spar, but I’m sure she’ll be able to offer some helpful advice. I’m very much hoping her advice isn’t, “Don’t write a novel, there’s no future in it.” Even if that’s the case, I’ll make sure to ignore it and push onward.

Today was my last day as an undergraduate student of anthropology, I sat my exam in “Contemporary Theory and Ethnography” and was quite content that I managed to fit in all of the requisite theory and so forth to earn myself some kind of passing grade. I’m not sure how this works now… do I get made an anthropologist straight away or do I need to wait for my results before I can start postulating reasons for people being different (and therefore inferior) to me.

I haven’t too much to add at the moment, though I’ll try to update again before the end of the day.

Tomorrow, the study for English begins, hopefully I can make this degree a double without completely destroying a grade…

No comments: