Sunday, May 31, 2009

Limbo

It happens quite often that I sit down with the intention of writing something, but eventually let myself be distracted by any of the hundreds of things there are to do instead of actually sitting down and committing something of myself to paper (electronic or otherwise). I’m pretty sure that’s a big flaw, so I’ve decided that from now on, once I’ve decided to write something, I will make sure I sit down and actually write it, rather than getting bored and losing interest.

I’m not sure how I feel about having finished college and moving on to work. There’s always a certain amount of sentiment attached to a place or time in your life, especially one in which you’ve seemed to excel with relatively little effort. I suppose that much is only natural. The only problem is that that kind of sentimentality could very easily become a kind of paralysis, an inertia that keeps me from picking myself up and moving on to something else. I wonder is it that I fear change or that I fear work, fear an environment in which making mistakes is a real problem, rather than an addressable issue.

I’ve been thinking more and more about the idea of writing a book. I told the father, and he seems very much of the opinion that there’s no point writing a book with another person (though he did admit this is because he’s very possessive about his by-lines). I suppose the biggest issue is that there’s no way to tell how well I’m doing until it’s already too late and all the investment’s been made… I think it’d be worth the risk though. The worst-case scenario is that I can say that I’ve tried and failed.

Also, I need opinions on fiction blogs… I enjoy tootling around with them, but I’m never sure whether other people like them. I’d love to get some feedback on the whole affair. I think they’re fun writing exercises, though it’s hard to

[Update] Have decided to start a wordpress blog for fictional stuff. Will post links in my real blog as and when necessary. Thanks to flashinnameonly.wordpress.com for the inspiration :D

No comments: